At CSS, our caring community develops programs that integrate loving-kindness into the lives of our members in times of joy, sorrow, and transition. We also aim to involve our members in the local community through joint programs and collaborative relationships with other groups and organizations.
Ongoing Outreach Programs:
- College Connection —sustains a connection between CSS, our college students and their parents by sending care packages with Jewish treats for Rosh Hashanah, Chanukah, and Purim. To sign your child(ren) or grandchild(ren) up to receive CSS care packages, please e-mail Gwen Lurie with their names, school address, and expected date of graduation at email@example.com.
- Christmas Cookie Project — During the holidays, we bake and deliver hundreds of cookies to our hard-working emergency servicemen and women.
- Knitting Club — Our Knitting Club knits blankets and shawls for those in need and for use in our Sanctuaries. Learn to knit, get help with a current project, or enjoy knitting with company. We meet every Wednesday at 7pm. For more information, contact Susan Poland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mitzvah Meal Project — During difficult times, sometimes a simple home-cooked meal can be heartwarming. Contact the office to make an occasional meal, or deliver one, to a congregant in need.
- Northeast Coalition for Jewish Life and Learning — is a partnership of seven institutions in Northeast Philadelphia that aims to inspire our community to take part in Jewish life. We offer free learning opportunities, transportation for seniors, and joint-programs.
- Schalach Manot — is a traditional gift baked and delivered to our congregants on Purim Day.
- Super Sunday —The Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia's single largest day of fund raising. CSS members volunteer to help give back to the Jewish community which helps support many of our programs, the Religious School, and the Pre-School.
- Tikkun Torah Project — This year-long project to repair our torahs has enabled us to pass them onto the next generation. See our Picture Gallery!
Interested in volunteering? We are currently looking for volunteers for a variety of projects. Please contact Debbie Hersh at 215-677-1600 ext. 201 or at Debbie@shaareshamayim.org for more information.